Community (Page 2)

Community (Page 2)

Easter Announcements

First Church Family: What a blessed Lent we have had, through the Palm Sunday’s “The Last Supper Tableau”! Tonight at 6:00PM, we will continue to walk with Jesus to the Cross, as we participate in a Maundy/Holy Thursday Communion Service. For the first time in two years, you will have the opportunity to receive elements of bread and juice from the pastors. (The cellophane, pre-packaged wafers and juice will also be available, should you prefer that.) Then tomorrow, we will gather at St. Stephen’s…

Holy Week

First Church Family:      After church on Palm Sunday, I sat in my office after experiencing our Last Supper Tableau program. I was exhausted but fulfilled, having had the privilege of serving with fellow followers of Christ during the program.      At the close of the service, each one of Jesus’ disciples abandoned Him, leaving Him with the weight of the world on His shoulders. Can you imagine the darkness, pain, and discouragement He experienced, having everyone betray, deny, and…

Helping Those in Need

First Church Family, Last Thursday, in a conversation with our Pete Kidder, Caldwell Habitat for Humanity executive director, I came to understand that: there are houses within a mile of our church where families with children live on dirt floors. more than 7,000 houses in our county are heated by portable kerosene heaters and by opening the oven. 7,764 families in our county spend almost one-third of their total income on housing. and many mobile homes in our county are so poorly insulated that…

Being a Blessing

Dear First Church Family,      As I write this on Groundhog’s Day morning, the sun is out… oh goodness, another six weeks of winter!     This past Sunday was our Tara Hatton’s last official Sunday as our Director of Youth and Family Ministry. Tara has done a wonderful job with us and hasbecome an integral part of our church family and our leadership team. Tara has shared that she will continue to worship and serve with us on a volunteer basis. What a…

Bless This Meal

First Church Family,      I haven’t lived here forever as some of you have, but I am amazed every day at the beauty of our surroundings. I truly believe our area is one of God’s beautiful paradises on earth. And this time of year, it is at its prettiest. Please stop every single day, admire God’s handiwork, and offer prayers of praise and gratitude.     On Saturday, November 20, we will take a big step in getting back to who we were before…

Summertime News

First Church Family, What a wonderful respite we have had from the heat this week! Though I know the temperatures are going to rise again, this week has made me look forward to fall. Over the past days we have hired exceptional replacements for our Melanie Anderson and her assistant in our Robbins Preschool. Kendra Stuebe, from Christ Methodist Church in Hickory, will serve as our New Director and Lead Teacher. She has experience in the field and appropriate degrees and  credentials. Our own…

VBS Registration

First Church Family, I pray that this note finds you in good health and spirits. So many members of our church family have been on vacation, travelling, and entertaining family and friends on weekends that our in-person congregation looks different each week. But every week, new faces are appearing, and FUMC family members are welcomed back. I pray that if you haven’t returned since the pandemic, that you will do so soon! A few updates: food for both Yokefellow and our CCC&TI campus ministry  (microwaveable heat…

Preschool and VBS

First Church Family,At times, we think of summer as a period of time to relax, vacation, and get ready for the fall. While all of those dreams are partially fulfilled during this time, we are FUMC are incredibly busy following God’s plan. By now you certainly have heard that Melanie Anderson, our Robbins Pre-School Director of 27 years, is retiring this summer. Melanie leadership has kept our program at the top of the list of great pre-school programs in our county, and will be…

PANCAKE DAY

Pancake DayTuesday, February 25 @ 10:30-1:00 and 4:30-7:00We will be serving approximately 850 school children a wonderful pancake breakfast in the morning hours and 100 meals in the afternoon for Bethel Colony of Mercy, at no cost to them. Also, tickets will be sold for our friends and family to enjoy a meal. All proceeds will go towards the Helping Hands Clinic in downtown Lenoir. Please consider helping underwrite the expense, so that the support of Helping Hands Clinic might…

CHRISTMAS WITH THE PRESCHOOL

If you have a moment during the Christmas season, please go downtown and see the Robbins Preschool tree. It is directly in front of Riccoco Rionel (between the Antique Mart and the corner ice cream store). The children dressed as stars of the 50’s and 60’s, and they are adorable! Thank you to Helping Hands for sponsoring our tree!

BBQ Festival

We enjoyed working at the Lenoir BBQ Festival Saturday, October 19! So much fun… we are going to do it again next year!